1. In a medium size mixing bowl cream together sugar, shortening, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and beat for 3-4 minutes on medium speed. Drop batter by tablespoon, two inches apart, on a non-stick baking sheet.
2. Bake at 175°C (350°F) for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
1. Combine all ingredients and beat on high until fluffy.
2. To make the Way-Out Caramel Whoopie Pie, take one cake and spread about 2 tbsp of icing on it. Cover with another cake and enjoy.
YIELD: 6-8 servings
- 500 mL (2 cups) turbinado sugar
- 180 mL (3/4 cup) shortening
- 2 eggs
- 5 mL (1 tsp) vanilla
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) cocoa
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 875 mL (3 1/2 cups) flour
- 10 mL (2 tsp) baking soda
- 250 mL (1 cup) warm water